Plan your trip
Pre Departure Information
As you will be in a remote area it is great to be prepared and go through the packing list in good time before your trip!
What to Pack
- Neutral coloured clothes
- Long sleeved shirts and trousers to protect against sun and mosquitos
- Loose light clothing you can wear in the heat and layers for when it gets cooler at night
- A light water proof jacket in the green season in case you experience any rain
- Comfortable walking shoes and closed toe shoes for walking around camp at night
- In rainy season it is advisable to bring wellies. Raincoats are provided by Msandile.
- Swimwear-the pool is a welcome and refreshing experience during the heat of the day
- Your camera, extra storage cards, batteries and charging cables
- Binoculars (your guide will have a set they are happy to share)
- A light weight backpack to take on safari
- A torch for the night time although the lodge does have spares
- Please note the lodge has English 3 pin charging points (please bring adapters if necessary)
- Any reference books you have e.g. bird books
- Sunscreen, insect repellant, a cap or hat to protect your head against the sun
- Glasses, if you need as contact lenses can be tricky with the dust of a drive
- Any medication you take
- For women it may be worth bringing sports bras as the game drives can be bumpy!
- Zambia is a conservative country so please try and avoid wearing provocative clothing and leave jewellery at home
Please check that your passport is valid for at least 6 months beyond your stay and has sufficient blank pages. Depending on the country you reside in you may require a visa which costs USD$25 and may need to be arranged in advance. The list does change so please visit Zambia Immigration for up to date visa information.
Zambia has a sub-tropical climate with a defined wet and dry season. The dry season typically runs from May to mid-November and a wet season from mid-November to the end of March. Typically, in wet season there are strong tropical storms that last a few hours and bring the bush alive, fresh green and luscious, it is advised to bring a lightweight water proof jacket however the sun will also come out, temperatures are still high and you will dry off quickly! During “winter” temperatures can drop below 10° C so we recommend bringing a jacket and long trousers for the early morning drives as they are cooler however the temperature will climb back to the mid 20s during the midday sun so layers are key! Temperatures soar to the highs of 40°C during the summer months of October and November so make sure to bring plenty of sunscreen and loose light layers. We recommend you wear light neutral colours, khaki, green, sand, browns, white can get dirty quickly in the dust and blue can attract tsetse flies which have a painful and annoying bite!
- Population: 16.59 million
- Capital city: Lusaka
- Currency: Zambia Kwacha (ZMW)
- Major languages: English (official), Bemba, Lozi, Nyanja, Tonga
- President: Hakainde Hichilema
- Geographic coordinates: 15 00 S, 30 00 E
- Area: 752,614 sq km (290,586 sq miles)
- Time: +2 hours GMT
Crossing the border
Need help with information on how to get from Malawi to Msandile by road let us help you with our handy crossing the border guide.